Thursday, August 25, 2011

As long as I'm living...

Last night I was alone, in the almost-dark, on the computer.
Everyone was sleeping, and the house was quiet, other than
the dull whoosh of a few fans around the house.
-
Out of nowhere, I heard a soft, "Ooooo" sound.
I'm thirty-four years old.  Educated.  Realistic.
But I'm also a fan of the show "Ghost Adventures,"
and my instant reaction was to jerk around and whisper,
"Holy-What-The-Crap-Was-That?!?!"
-
I looked around, listened for a sec... nothing.
But it came again, this time a little louder, a little longer.
My heart started beating.
-
The third time I heard it, I realized it was sounding
more like a crying son than a lingering spirit of the dead.
I went to the bottom of the stairs and there I could
hear it was Peli, doing some kind of whining-crying thing.
-
Now, the point of this story is that when I got to him,
he was crying- but still sleeping, you know how kids do...
So I was saying his name, and stroking his hair, trying to get
him awake enough to tell me whether something was
hurting or he was having bad dreams.
-
He opened his eyes and told me it was a dream,
and tried to go back to sleep.  But within seconds,
he was crying again.  I picked him up onto my lap and
started rocking back and forth, still stroking his hair.
-
And the ONLY thing in my brain at that moment
was this:
This is an image from the book "Love You Forever,"
one of my faves.  And this is exactly how I felt last night.
Peli felt so gigantic in my arms; I could barely keep him
on my lap.  He was curled up and trying to sleep.
-
It was definitely one of those moments.
Those surreal, "This is really being a mommy" moments.
It was awesome.
And he didn't cry the rest of the night.
-----

2 comments:

Joe and Marci said...

Best book ever written. I cry like a baby every time I read it...or think about it.

Sue said...

my favorite too.