my baby boy went to the Big Boy Class yesterday.
Sunbeams!
(yes, i took this pic with my phone with the sun behind,
so it's not my best photo work)
Here's the Story:
If you don't know Peli well, you may not know that he is quite
shy with new people, and he's very, very attached to me right now.
Part of it is that after 2 years of staying with my mom while I worked
in the day, he's had me all to himself for a year.
Part of it is that since having Raini, he's had the typical separation
anxiety and "sharing mom" feelings that many kids have after
another kid is born. He'd been doing great in nursery, going
and staying on his own... until Raini came along. Then he reverted
to not wanting to go, and not wanting to stay unless I stayed
with him. So that's been a challenge for me, and something
I've worried about. Yesterday was a day that has just been
LOOMING in my mind for weeks. I kept wondering if we'd
be that family whose kid freaks out about going to primary
and everyone else rolls their eyes ;) ... and I wondered how many
weeks (or months!!) it would take for Peli to be okay with going to
class and staying and enjoying his time there.
Well, yesterday came and while Peli was happy and excited to
talk about going to primary, once the time came to get ready
to go to church, he shut down. He didn't want to get dressed,
argued with me for approximately 42 minutes while I was getting
ready, then fought with Suka about putting his clothes on.
Finally, we actually opened the door and threatened to leave
him home alone. Yes, we are mean like that.
That's when he agreed to put his church clothes on.
I just felt the looming cloud of darkness and tears that was
going to be our First Day of Primary.
BUT... after sacrament, they asked us to take the kids to
nursery cuz they were going to come get them and had some
special things planned. They came in with crowns for each of them,
they took them into the big primary room and introduced them
each by name and sang the welcome song "hello HELLO" you know.
Then they sat down in the front row.
Peli grabbed my hand and wanted me to sit with him, but I told
him I was going to go stand in the back, which I did.
From the back of the room, I could see him holding his face
in his hands for just a couple of minutes. I couldn't tell if he was
crying, or just shy and not knowing what to do.
But after that, he was just fine! He was watching the "singing lady"
and the kids around him. After a while, I left.
Later, I saw them crossing the hall to their classroom.
He wasn't freaking out. He wasn't looking for me.
That's a good thing.
Then, at precisely 2:59, the classroom door opened and Peli
came out, crown still on his head, newly colored picture in his hand,
and big green treat bucket in his other hand.
He was given the assignment to fill and bring back the treat bucket
for next week... and he was EXCITED about that!
He told me all the things they did and that he got to play
with Joplin and Cassidy and Tanner...
I was sooooo relieved that everything went smoothly and
he enjoyed his big boy sunbeams class.
Then I cried, cuz my little baby
isn't a little baby anymore.
3 comments:
LOL! I think we have the same child! My Jordan who is 4 argues with me every Sunday about how hes nose is sick and blah blah blah so I finally told him that we were going to leave without him. He thought that would be just fine and so I got the other kids and the hubs and we said our goodbyes(in pajamas) and walked out the door and stood at the door. All the sudden I hear a blood curdeling scream and cry and footsteps running towards the door. I think we may hae traumitized him a bit but he doesnt refuse to go anymore! He does still fake being sick. Its already started! Oh and my baby is a CTR 5. He turned 4 on the 17th of Dec. I just dont think its fair! Hes the youngest in his class. Poor Jordan and Poor Mommy...that was not a good moment for me!
Ha Ha!! He would kill me if he knew I told you this but too bad. We went to Newport this summer with his family and went to the worlds CRAPPIEST beach. it had a Huge undertow with tons of warning signs everywhere. Are you suprised that is the beach we picked?? anyway, to make a long story short, John got sucked out to sea about 2 football fields lengths and luckily the lifeguard was able to save him. I bawled for like 16 hours after that. and wouldn't talk to him for a few days. hahah Kinda funny now but sure wasn't then.
Good to hear he did so well. I wish i could say our experience went as well. But it didn't our son was the one screaming and throwing a fit for atlest 30 minutes about not wanting to stay. He was so excited until we got to his class room door. They are growing up so fast!
Post a Comment